By Aimee Lucas
It’s hard to believe I’ve been here at Burke Britton for over seven years now – time flies when you’re having fun!
Along the way and back to my early teens I’ve picked up some helpful tips and advice that I wanted to share…
- Get in a good habit of saving: tuck that portion of your pay away and don’t be tempted to touch it
A separate bank account, an investment fund, even a money tin that you can’t open!
- Get in a good habit of spending: making sure you decide between a ‘want’ and a ‘need’ when spending money.
Always the hard part, but learning when and how to splurge is so important
- Putting extra into Super: it sounds SO boring, but even $10 a week can see your Super balance overtake your peers quickly. The best part is you can’t touch it, so it’s forced savings for your retirement. I have mine taken out of my pay in advance by Burke Britton as Salary Sacrifice, so I don’t even see it leave my account or miss it – can’t miss what you don’t get.
- Pay your bills in advance: this also sounds very boring, but it’s so much better paying a small amount each fortnight then having a huge bill arrive. Depending on the season, some of mine even come in credit! I BPAY a small amount each fortnight – helps with any nasty scares in the mail.
- Still reward yourself: as good as it is to harp on about saving and planning for the future, you have to still enjoy your life.
I love travelling – in or out of Australia – and try to get away at least once a year if I can
- Shop around with the banks: check all the banks have on offer (for bank accounts or loans) with interest rates, fees, special offers available – like student or senior Australian deals. I’ve only re-financed once in five years to get a better rate and lower fees, but some of my friends are always finding better ways to save money by continually moving around with their banking.
This blog contains information that is general in nature. It does not take into account the objectives,
financial situation or needs of any particular person. You need to consider your financial situation and needs before making any decisions based on this information.
If you decide to purchase or vary a financial product, your financial adviser, AMP and other companies within the AMP Group may receive fees and other benefits. The fees will be a dollar amount and/or a percentage of either the premium you pay or the value of your investment. Please contact us if you want more information.
PB Financial Solutions Pty Ltd – trading as Burke Britton Financial Partners & Securelife Financial Solutions ABN 67 097 381 523 is an authorised representative and credit representative of AMP Financial Planning Pty Limited, Australian Financial Services Licensee and Australian Credit Licensee ABN 89 051 208 327. Licence No: 232706