Getting married is an exciting time in life but it can also be a time of significant financial change and stress. First there is the cost of the wedding itself – and the budget you’ll have to tie yourself to so you can have exactly the wedding you want. Then, when the honeymoon is over, there’s the life ahead with all the financial decisions you’ll make together as a newly married couple.
Common questions to consider
Some questions you may wish to consider include:
- How do we set a budget for our dream wedding?
- What are the joint financial decisions we should be thinking about now we are getting married?
- What if we have different views on how to manage money? One of us is a spender, the other thriftier?
- Do we need a Will when we are married?
- Do we need insurance?
- What types of insurance are there?
- I am remarrying. Are there any special financial considerations?
- What is a prenuptial agreement?
- Are there any tax minimisation strategies for married couples?
How we can help
As you prepare to get married, you may need to review your finances and make financial decisions as a couple. Things to consider are your financial situation, needs, goals and objectives, as well as your insurance, investments and Wills.
- Review and help you set goals and timeframes.
- Review and analyse your joint income and spending patterns.
- Review financial commitments and debts.
- Review your individual and joint investments.
- Identify opportunities to save money.
- Recommend savings or investment products to achieve your goals.
- Review, recommend and arrange appropriate insurance.
- Identify if you need to talk to a solicitor about a new Will.
What to do next
Burke Britton Financial Partners , Financial Planners in Geelong West can help you review your financial situation when getting married. Contact us on Phone 03 5221 7700 .